Grow as a Dancer, Expand as a Human


 

Photography by Rachel Aron

What makes something art? What must you put into the paper and pigment before it transcends being a doodle into a sketch or a painting. Is it skill? Intent? Determination? Or is it the transference of some insoluble part of yourself that works its way into your medium? What sort of artist deserves the most praise? The “natural born” that creates with little effort, or the dogged striver who pushes boundaries and achieves beauty through pluck and courage?

 

I know that it takes all kinds. I am the meticulous sort, both as a writer and producer. When I settle into those rolls, I become detached and analytical, finding pleasure in the way words and sentences fit together; in the way two thoughts complement each other in a particular state of flow. For me, random emotion does not translate to the structure I need to create. I suppose this leaves me slightly skeptical of that old claim that great artists need to suffer for their art. I get the concept, but I have a hard time translating erratic energy into a coherent outcome.

 

I think great art can be achieved through any motivation as long as there is a desperate personal need to create it. This is a state of mind that can be achieved through focus or frustration, boredom or breakthrough, serendipity or savant. What I have come to find in ballet dancers is that practice and determination rule the day. Granted, it’s a discipline as much as an art form, but the dancers I have encountered are just that – disciplined. Hard working and focused, and cheerful to boot. Some of them, if you told them to stop smiling, would never figure out how. 

 

I have an inkling as to where that smile comes from. It is a rare career that regularly brings self-satisfaction and a sense of growth. Being a professional ballet dancer means dedicating your life to improvement and refinement. Every day, you learn your craft; you train your muscles and redefine your limitations. And it’s wonderful to have that – to be able to keep learning. I have had many jobs in my life that didn’t require thought or personal innovation. They tended to leave me feeling empty inside. To learn is to live; to stop learning is to stagnate.

 

And learn they do. I am privileged to shill for a wonderful company full of people whom I admire and respect. Fort Wayne Ballet has an ABT certified academy, and a group of young dance students who seem happy and determined as they hone themselves physically and mentally; they carry on the traditions of several hundred years of artistic expression. 

 

Every day, I go into work and watch artists create themselves. The dance, the performance, is a medium, but the dancer is the true masterwork, created from within, with meticulous care, through artistic collaboration with their instructors. I frequently find myself in awe of people who choose not to say, “I can’t do that,” but prefer to say, “I can’t do that yet.” If you’re one of those people, good on you.  I long ago accepted my limitations and work within them, but that path always contains some regrets. To learn is to live; so, learn, and learn, and learn, and learn. 

 

If you’ve heard our most recent episodes of Kinetic Conversations, our directors talk about the mental positives of a dance education. The focus and discipline and the adaptability of dance is not just a physical journey. As you sharpen your body, so follows the mind. And that doesn’t just apply to those on a career path as a dancer. You can take dance classes for fun or exercise and still reap the benefits of unlocking your body’s potential. 

 

Let’s not overlook that ballet is an impressive platform for exercise. Pound for pound, ballet dancers are the some of the most tremendous athletes I’m aware of, with lithe, compact bodies that are capable of moving with speed, agility, and power. (I keep thinking there should have been a movie moment where James Bond couldn’t quite dodge a toe shoe to the head.) So, if you’ve ever thought about trying ballet, consider it for it’s workout potential as much as anything.

 

As a matter of fact, in addition to youth programs and professional tracks, Fort Wayne Ballet is currently expanding our adult, wellness-oriented class selections. We have drop-in classes for adult ballet, as well as Pilates, yoga, physical conditioning, and more. These classes are non-curricular and easy to fit into the life of a professional.

 

Speaking of that academy of ours, our fall semester begins next week. More than that, we have an academy open house this Saturday, August 19th,  at the Auer Center from 11:00 to 2:00. If you’ve ever been curious about our ballet or the academy, we would be thrilled if you stopped in to see us. You can tour our studios, meet our staff and instructors, and sign up for classes. 

 

 

Photography by Rachel Aron

Ballet 101 Terminology Lesson

 

Once again, I thought we could take a look at some of the terminology used in ballet, in the hopes that we gain some understanding, as some of us (me) are all but complete novices. Here are a couple terms of choice to expand your dance vocabulary.

 

En Face       This is a directional term, which simply means facing the audience. Smile!

                     They’re lookin’ at you.

 

Tendu           Extending (sliding) one leg out to where it touches the floor with just the tip of the toe.

 

Jeté               A leap, taking off from one foot and landing on the other. Also, just a fun word to

                      shout randomly.  “Jeté!”

 

Glissade      This one I guessed correctly, thinking of a trombone’s glissando. Sliding steps used

                      to glide across the stage. 

 

 

Until next time, my Dear Reader, I hope life treats you well. Please stop by fortwayneballet.org to see our new lineup of shows for the 2023-24 season and find more information on our academy. You can find the latest episodes of our podcast at the link attached or search Kinetic Conversations with the Fort Wayne Ballet on your favorite streaming platform. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FWB Comes to TV: Stierle Magic and Public Television.